Thursday, November 6, 2008

This Test is getting harder

I have yet to feel a desire for celebrating the passing of Prop 8. I know there are many reasons for this, and after discussing them out loud, the best answer I can give is that I think I have a hint of what our Father in Heaven feels for his children when they choose an opposing path to the plan of salvation. I have seen and studied so much on the subject of Same Sex Marriage over the past 3 months, which was disheartening to say the least. But it wasn't until this last week that I really realized who the opponent was we were up against. This group, and I really feel it is important to refer to them as a group, is more hateful than I would have imagined otherwise friendly individuals to be. I don't really have words for it, which is better anyway because I don't want to sound like I am casting judgement. The only point I am trying to get across is the way I am feeling after a successful campaign.
I know I didn't realize how bad this would get in the beginning, though I did expect it to be bad. It is a different trial of faith than I had expected. In a way I am grateful because I know it is making me strong because I am going to have to be stronger. But that also brings forth the reality that this is just the beginning.
Unfortunately, for a split second I thought about Corban and my unborn children and how I don't dare bring them into this ugly world. Then I reminded myself (or He reminded me) that those children have been prepared for this time. I actually need their strong spirits to help me through this. So bring on the babies!
In the middle of this post I received a phone call and I had a feeling I shouldn't answer it since I didn't recognize the number. The message said the following:

Hi, I am looking for an Amanda Crane. I got a message on my cell phone today
that you had donated $...... to the Yes on 8 campaign. I'd just like to
confirm that before I forward it to about 280 phone mail messages and to all the
email addresses on my San Diego list. My name is David and my phone number is
619-295-5478. I just like to get confirmation before I do something like that.
That it is either indeed true or not true. Thank you!


Boy was I glad I didn't answer it! I can't believe the attacks and intimidation that are coming from that side. Still! They are really sore losers. It makes me think of sports games and the lesson of sportsmanship. I guess these people haven't had much experience with that- or they are teaching that lesson different from when I learned it. If their point is that we, Yes on 8, are bigots and are so hateful, then why are they fighting this so called battle with the same? If I were an outsider without a position on the matter, their actions would really leave me to think. But people have been raised to think differently now, so what is right, is no longer right, what is moral no longer matters, what is law is fought in the name of individual justice. I thought that when we vote, the majority gets to decide the end. Apparently it just gives reason to put forth another lawsuit.
All joking aside, I really do feel bad about what is going on. I feel bad that this has hurt them to the point that they are lashing out in this way. I feel bad that they hold all this anger towards a very loving people. I feel bad that they are vindictive against individuals they don't know the slightest about. What does an amount of money say about a person? Does it tell them that I have a little boy that can melt the heart of anyone? Does it tell them who I am and who I am striving to become? Does it tell them that I too think there are injustices in this world? Does it tell them that I truly do strive to love my neighbor and my enemy? Does it tell them the hard days that I have experienced or the things that bring me great joy? Does it tell them that I make mistake? Does it tell them the accomplishments I have made in my life? Does it even tell them the REASON why I donated the money? Nope, it has no ability to explain any of these things.
I heard from an individual today that was picketing at the LDS temple in LA that "this is not a personal attack on the members of the church." I dare say it is. I do recall hearing my name personally on that cell phone message. I do believe that was MY employee calling ME to tell ME that he has had multiple calls for AMANDA CRANE about her donation to Yes on 8 and they are going to ruin my business. I did get a personal "heads-up" from GS corporate preparing me for the flood of emails that have come in due to my donation. Maybe I am a little paranoid.
It's just the beginning.

3 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Amanda, this is awful! I can't even tell you how sick I am at the things homosexuals are doing and saying in order to "get their way." I have felt, since Prop 8 was declared passed, that this is an empty victory. First of all because of how close the race was. Will we be so blessed in four years? Probably not. And second, because the opposition just won't let it lie. I had hoped for a bit of peace before the onslaught took up again, but I don't think Satan will ever call a truce until he has won (which he won't). I am afraid because I believe from here on out, members of the LDS church are going to have to learn how to be happy amidst constant persecution. I can imagine our FHE lessons will be less about telling the truth and being nice to a little buddy, and more about believing in Christ and enduring to the end and strengthening our testimonies against the flood of evil that is sure to come.

Anyway, as always, thank you for your thoughts. They are profound. And thank you for getting Soren some medicine yesterday. I think he has what little Caleb H. had. Hopefully his fever will go away in the next couple of days.

P.S. I would like your permission to share your stories of harassment without personal names, phone numbers, or business names (or any identifying factors). If you are uncomfortable with that, don't hesitate to say no. Thanks Amanda!

heatherc said...

Amen Sista:)

Thanks for being so strong and positive!!

Colleen said...

for a happier perspective and some gratitude from our Christian allies, check out the blog at
http://www.article6blog.com/
especially November 6.