Monday, November 10, 2008

Yep, still hard

I guess it is my fault for thinking hard should only last a few months, really hard should only last two weeks, and the hardest thing I have ever been through should only last a week. I haven't quite hit a week, but I don't see an end in sight.
Heather calls me today asking how my day is going. Of course I knew what she was referring to since we have called each other EVERY day and sometimes 2 times a day to support one another through this harassment. (There is just something about men being able to handle these things. Both our husbands are able to smile through this.) Today I honestly answered her, "My day is going good. How about yours?" I guess it shouldn't have been surprising her response, but I had stayed away from the computer for the morning and was pretending that life was back to normal. Apparently the other side (those against Prop 8) are still working 24/7 to dig up any and all dirt they can find. And if they don't find it in you, they find it in somebody really close to you, and somehow relate it back to you- with the details all twisted. There is a new thing going around on Roger about an article he didn't even write. Oh, the annoyance!
I know I have no room telling people how they should react when they hear what we are going through here in California, but this is my blog, so I will say what I think. I don't feel that it is an outsider's job to tell us we should have compassion on the other side (I am not particularly talking about the 1st Presidency, as I would take this as counsel and I know this is exactly what our Father in Heaven would like us to do). It is really hard to hear, "It could be worse", "you just need to love them", or "they just don't understand." The best reaction to have is something to the tune of compassion and understanding for us, acknowledgement that THEY are the ones displaying hate, or just plain sympathy. No need to fear that you would be condoning our wallowing in our misery. We are pretty strong cookies- as we have been baking in this for the past few months. We just have to allow the sparks to fly often or we will burn from the inside out! We are doing our best to react in a way we have been taught- with love, understanding, and compassion for our enemies. Have faith in us that we are praying for that love and compassion on these people who don't share our same views (or morals) and are lashing out in pure hatred. I promise I am praying for this and I (and everyone else) could really use your prayers as well! I am not at all claiming to the worst off! I can't imagine the pain others must be going through. If I would have been to the LA Temple the day of the protests, I can only imagine the fear that would have put into me. It was bad enough walking out of my door on Saturday afternoon (after a wonderfully uplifting morning of crafts and discussions) to have a car drive by with a guy hanging out the window yelling belligerent comments. He didn't stop at one, but kept going until they (or I) were out of sight over the hill. YIKES! I thought my home was my safe haven. I guess I will have to stay inside.

It is so hard to not be outwardly defensive against these people boycotting the stores. Here are a few of the complaints (my defense in between) that are being sent in to the stores corporate office:
Our family and many of our friends will not be frequenting your establishment in the future.
Equal rights means equality for everyone!
You could have donated your $XXXX dollars to a battered women's shelter to actually help someone. Instead, you donated to promote hate by allowing Prop 8 to pass. A lot of gay/lesbians eat frozen yogurt, but a lot will not be spending their money at your establishment.
A former customer.
Have they even thought to look into where I have donated money. If they want to specifically talk about the business, we have donated well over that amount THIS YEAR to causes I would say are similar to a battered woman's shelter! A majority of my personal donations go through the church. If they knew much about the Mormon church, they would find that 100% of the donations made go to the cause. The humanitarian efforts are one of the first at any catastrophe.

To Whom It May Concern:

I enjoy your yogurt very much and have been a customer for over 3 years. It is with regret that I inform you that I will no longer be patronizing the Golden Spoon located in Poway, CA after learning that the owner, Amanda Crane, donated $XXXX to the yes on 8 campaign. I would ask that you seriously consider the future of your business relationship with Ms. Crane. Golden spoon is in the frozen yogurt business and shouldn't be involved in perpetrating hate crimes against a group of people merely seeking equal recognition under the law.

Sincerely,
Amanda Lee
That's right, Golden Spoon is in the frozen yogurt business and that is where they will stay. It was a PERSONAL donation, not a donation made by the company. Little do ANY of these people know that I am not the only owner, but it is made up of 5 owners, some of which don't agree with Prop 8, therefore, they are hurting their own side (owners and employees) with this type of boycott.

Subject: Boycott of XXXXX XXXXXX

It has come to my attention that XXXXXX XXXXXX (owner of parent business) of XXXXX XXXXX XXXXXX, Inc. and Amanda Crane (my local, Poway XXXX XXXXX Franchise) have donated substantial amounts of money to the "Yes On Prop 8" campaign in California.
Armed with this information I will no longer be a Golden Spoon customer. I will also be letting my friends and colleagues know this information as well.
Prop 8 isn't about gays or marriage or church. It's about the rights of ALL people and the ability of the government to dictate those rights. This is a slippery slope. Where might this slope lead to?

Thank you.
A favorite line that I have heard recently spoken to a gay man was this: "You have all the same rights that I do. You can get married to a woman just like any other man can." Of course if they know any of the arguments on our side, they have nothing to do with equal rights, nor wanting to take away rights from anyone. Our objective is to save traditional marriage, which we believe saves the family, which then saves the individual. It is unfortunate that the judges unlawfully gave them that right for a few months, so now it can be argued that that right is being taken from them.
We have used the "slippery slope" analogy on our side as well. The slippery slope we see is that marriage is not what they want. There is more to the agenda, which is how we got here. Where do you draw the line on marriage if it isn't between a man and a woman? Teenagers? Multiple wives? Sodomy? Relations with animals? And I would like to hear the argument of how this won't be taught in schools, when "marriage" have been chosen to be taught in schools by 95% of the districts in California?

And then there was this one:
I'm sorry that some folks in California are targeting you for boycotts. My family and I will increase our patronage of your stores in the near future until this blows over. The store in Poway, CA is the one we usually frequent.

I will also spread the word to others to increase their patronage.

Warm regards,

J. Drew
Poway, C


This person deserves a medal for making my day! Yippee! There are still kind words to be spoken!
Thank you to all of you who want to do everything in your power to keep our business going in Poway! I wish we could afford to just give you all Free Yogurt because you deserve it!
Thank you Heather and Roger and Kids for coming down yesterday! It was a nice break and it is always great to spend time with family. I can't wait for our much needed vacation in less than two weeks!



6 comments:

Liz said...

Ugh! I am so sorry that you have to live this! I get sick just reading about it. I am having a hard time letting go of all this Prop 8 stuff ever since I started a Facebook group and gained 3,600 new friends (good and bad) all yakking away about the LDS Church and Prop 8. Now I have to mediate and it's killing me! AHHHH!! Why can't people just let it be after the vote clearly proved how California citizens feel about homosexual marriage?! Thank you for staying strong, Amanda. Please call me if you ever want to vent. I might need it just as much as you! :)

heatherc said...

*sigh* Well said, just exactly how I was feeling--how did you know? *wink*
So grateful to be having this trial... And to be sharing it with my sister--what a privilege!

Jacqui said...

AManda, we totally feel for you and pray/talk about you every day lately. I would like your permission to forward this on to some family members who sympathize. I think it's really good to let people know what is REALLY going on.

This is crazy. We really feel for you and will keep sending prayers up to heaven to strengthen you and your businesses. Jeff and I have a ton of respect for you and Jared, and the sacrifices you've made and continue to make. You guys are amazing examples. Wow. You have a lot of people praying for you.

Loves...XO

Jacqui said...

P.S. If we could, we'd go to your Golden Spoons every day...and we'd wear our CTR rings and Mormon Heterosexuals Rule t-shirts. What? You've never heard of those t-shirts? A new enterprise is in store...;)

AJ & Laurie said...

Amanda, I am so sorry! I had no idea how bad it got for you! If we still lived in San Diego, we would frequent your store all the time! Good job for hanging in there!

Colleen said...

Wow. You guys hang in there. We are praying for you. I just keep thinking about putting on "the whole armor of God". You've certainly had to do that. I think we will all need to do it more and more in the future. Have courage. Have faith. The Lord is in charge and you are on His side! Do you actually have people outside your stores trying to keep people out?