That is the question. Jared and I are contemplating taking in a 14 year old girl who is 5 months pregnant and needs a host family for the rest of her pregnancy. My interested was peaked in Relief Society when the announcement was made because we are always looking for ways we can be more charitable (Jared is good at this, so I am just trying to make a contribution). I am so pro adoption because of Heather's involvement and getting two beautiful children that have a great life because of the hard decision their birth mother had to make. So I took the question to Jared whether or not this was something I could look into further. Of course he said yes, so I received the actual inquiring email:
Subject: host home
I am working with a family from San Ysidro. There is a 14 yr old girl that is pregnant due in early November. She was still getting encouragement from family to have an abortion and the birth father (who is 20 years older than she ) suggested she just leave the baby in the trash. I am speaking with her older sister who is advocating for adoption?. I'm going to meet with them tomorrow morning. The sister is hoping I can find a "host home" for the 14 yr old so she's away from bad influences. Her mother suggested giving the baby to the brother but the sis told me he used crystal meth?.. Sooooooooooooooooo??.. if you know of anyone who might have a spare room and a heart for this young girl, would you forward this email?
Thank you and God's blessing on you.
When reading the email to Jared we talked about some concerns we might have. Jared specifically brought up the fact that Mexican culture are very tight knit families and if anything were to go wrong or she decided she didn't like something we were doing she could get her boyfriend or brother to come make a problem for us. There is also the issue of stealing that has to be considered. So I sent an email inquiring more:
I heard about the need for a host home for a 14 year old pregnant girl. I am interested because we have a spare bedroom and I am always for supporting adoption as my sister has adopted children. I do, however, have some concerns for my own family (I have a 7 month old baby and we are currently finishing a remodel on our home..but we do have a spare bedroom that is complete) with the situation that this young girl is coming from and would like to discuss them further if you are still in need of a host.
I then talked to someone from the adoption agency to get more information. In addition to what I read in the email, this young girl has decided on her own that she wanted to give the baby up for adoption, contrary to her mother's encouragement to get an abortion. The family is quite poor and the home she is living in is over populated with a lot of crazy stuff going on- therefore, not an environment for a young pregnant girl. They would like her to have a "host home" mainly so she has a better influence and financial situation, but also because they don't want extended family to know of the situation. She will be doing home study for her schooling and as soon as she chooses a family for the baby, they will be the one to take her to appointments. When I asked if she was a good girl, the response was that she seems well spoken and mature for her age. So we would be providing her room and board, occasional rides to appointments or other places she may need to go, a more comfortable family environment, and a safe haven from bad influences.
Is this something I am really up for? I wouldn't be concerned except for what other people bring up as things to be concerned about- her background and whether or not she is a good, honest girl, her performance in school up to this point, the invasion of our privacy, and the time commitment this will be. I actually worry more about whether I am prepared to discipline a 14 year old. In my mind she would just be like an adult, knowing right from wrong and always choosing right to avoid negative consequences- obviously this isn't so. After talking with my mom and a friend about it, it made me think about house rules that would have to be vocalized- everything from our expectations of how she keep her personal space, chores we would need her to do, time spent watching TV (ha, she will be sorely disappointed if she likes TV since we don't have cable) or movies, to being firm about how we view honesty and integrity and how if there is ever a question as to whether or not she is stealing or lying to us we will have to have her leave. What else haven't I thought of?
We are trying to arrange to meet her and to be able to talk more with the adoption agency about her background. That might clear my mind to make the decision. Jared is pretty much going to say yes if I want to do it.
On the other side of life is the question as to how much to donate to Prop 8, protecting marriage between a man and a women in California. It has strongly been encouraged at church to be vocal of our position on this proposition and so make a non tax deductible donation to the cause. When I got the donation slip it had boxes you could check with amounts of $50- $5,000. We have yet to turn it in because we have not been able to decide on an amount. Then tonight we were one of the chosen few who were visited by the Bishop. This was the first time I have actually spoke with and received direction from Bishop Wilcox since he was just called at the beginning of this month.
He of course started out by finding out how we are doing and thanking us for our involvement in the ward. Then he talked to us about Prop 8 and our need to help in preserving traditional marriage. A few years ago Prop 22 was voted on that made marriage between man and woman the law, but just recently it was put to vote by 7 judges, with a 4-3 majority voting for same sex marriage. We are now trying to amend the California Constitution to state that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California." The sad thing about this is that the people already voted and made a decision to preserve traditional marriage- then judges voted and changed the law. So we are working to get people to vote again and vote YES on Prop 8. I told him how I have a difficult time explaining the WHY to people that are not devout to religion and don't have a testimony of family like we do. He talked about the "coat tail" of consequences that follow behind what seems to be a small issue. Though we don't know and can't know all that would follow if traditional marriage is not preserved in the constitution, but we do know that we are suppose to do all we can to support the sanctity of marriage and family. The Family proclamation is fabulous in defining this for the world.
He discussed the importance of making a donation to this cause and that it should be a generous donation. We told him we have been planning on donating, we have just not been able to decide on the amount. He again talked about making it generous- it should stretch you a bit, to the point that you feel an "ouch". I think it was at that point that both Jared and I thought to ourselves the amount that we should donate. I really liked to have the visual of "ouch", as that put it into terms that helped determine an amount- which happened to be more than double what we had been considering at first. I guess that is why I never felt at ease with the amount.
So that is what has mainly been on my mind. Corban continues to be his happy cute self. He is getting more and more mobile every day. His favorite things to do is to travel to the TV cords and play in them (strangulation hazard) or crawl to the edge of the carpet where it meets the tile and pull back the carpet (occasionally he pulls out carpet strings which could be a choking hazard- but I don't think he eats them). He is still loving his bouncy horse. I think he is starting to get the hang of rhythmically bouncing. Today was the first day I have let him play with wood blocks. He was very entertained for some time. He was just talking away as he banged them together, gathered them in his arms, and put them him his mouth. He is still loving solid foods. He enjoyed his first bite of peaches on Sunday. We haven't had much luck with nursing. I got really mad at him last night when I couldn't get him to nurse and I was positive there was milk in there and he WAS hungry. I ended up having to feed him a bottle because he just wouldn't eat from me. As I fed him the bottle and pondered my reason for being mad, I determined I express my sadness through anger. That could be quite enlightening for other times. But in that moment I decided that I would just allow myself to be sad about it. I will keep trying nurse for the next week or so, but if he won't do it, I will let him have it his way. I guess I didn't realize that it really is the baby who decides when they are done. I just wish it wasn't so soon. How can he possibly desire to have formula over yummy breast milk? I have considered pumping, but every time I have tried (since the last 5 1/2 ounce bottle last week) I only get about 1-2 ounces. Not enough to make it worth the time and energy. This is why I need another baby to be on it's way.
We experienced an earthquake today. On the first tremor Jared said, "That must have been a HUGE gust of wind." I said as I looked out the window, "That was no gust of wind. There is not even a breeze outside. It was a tremor." Maybe 10 seconds later the second tremor made it's way through. We all (Jared, Wilson, Corban, Matthew- Stephanie Martins baby, and me) just stood there. Afterwards I thought, "What if that would have become something huge and I didn't make any attempt to run for cover and protect my baby?"
To bed I go as I hope to get up early and do some more yard work- I am slowly picking up on all the things a house wife is to do. I must say, house wives work rather long hours.
6 comments:
Wow. Lots of meat in that blog entry! Taking in a pregnant girl? Whoa. That's a huge one! You are considering all the right things, for sure. One thing that becomes a bit of a problem is when you leave town. Does she come with you? Do you trust her in your home? What if her relatives decide to come over? You want meth users traipsing through your home? Would you arrange for her to stay somewhere else while you are gone? You and Jared are incredibly generous in your desire to do good in the world and to help others less fortunate. PRAY about it...big time!! Yes, you have a wee one to think of in terms of his safety as well as the time element that could possibly be involved. I take it she is not a church member? THat also poses some potential problems as you desire her to keep your rules, standards, morals. When we took in an exchange student it was hugely invasive, even though she was a member (sort of).
So, you DID feel the earthquake? I wondered if you did. I imagine Scott and Ali felt it more, but haven't talked to them yet.
Also, it seems strange to me that a church representative is pushing you to make a donation to a political cause, even one with a moral base. I've never heard of such a thing, though I can see that it would be a good thing to do.
I agree with my mom. HUGE decision and she is right about the concerns. I don't mean to sound uncharitable, but if it were me, I wouldn't risk endangering my family. That is my first instinct, I think. The family ties and the drug use, the over-populated house... it just seems a bit too messy. I don't mean to sound lame, but there are probably other girls with the same standards that are in need of the same thing (new environment during the pregnancy). I personally think that it could be putting your family in a potentially dangerous position. However, I agree that it is a personal decision and you are, I am sure, praying about it. Maybe I am just uncharitable.
The other thing is that it struck me as odd that the bishop would ask for donations for a political thing. It seems odd to me. As in, he seems to be using his position in the church to make you feel like you must donate, and if you didn't, you wouldn't be supporting your ecclesiastical leader. That rubs me the wrong way. As much as I support the issue, we are in no position financially to donate right now. I have seen the forms at church, although I have not heard anyone mention it. What do they use the money for? ARe they planning on paying the judges? Who gets the money? How will it be used? Even if it is for some non-profit organization, usually most of it doesn't go to the cause, from what I understand.
Welp, there's my novel. Lots to think about.
Hi Mandy :) Boy you hit the jackpot of hot issues with this one post didn't you?! I don't have much else to say about your decision process in bringing this girl into your home...you'll know the right answer in time (because you are following the right process).
I just wanted to make a quick comment to the point about your bishop...although our bishop has not come to us personally I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. In sacrament meeting not long ago there was a message read from the pulpit from the First Presidency that stated we were to devote ALL our time and our means possible to this cause. So basically what I'm saying is that I feel your bishop wasn't out of line and your decision, again, was made in (and with) the right spirit. Don't second guess yourself--or the spirit! Love you and the example you are trying to be!!
Holy post, batman! ;) You are so kind-hearted, AManda (and Jared). I truly hope that the girl gets the right treatment, whether she stay with you or not. It is a bit scary to think about, either way (if she were to stay in her situation or with you). Good luck with that decision. I bet there is always monetary support, too. HAve you ever checked with LDS social services to see if they need safe homes for girls?
I sure hope Prop. 8 passes. They read a letter over our pulpit, too. Good for you for being so supportive. The "ouch" figure is kind of crazy, but you obviously knew it was the right thing. I can relate to this b/c what I am considering right now is considered crazy by most people, but I think it's right! ;)
Love ya. Love your daily Crumble blog. I was actually going to post something about crumbs on my blog...how with four kids, crumbs take on a life of their own in my house!
One more thought..hopefully not belaboring this subject for you...the "ouch" factor reminds me of something our stake president said when we were building the Newport Beach Temple. The members in the area were "pre-blessed" meaning we had received the blessings of wealth and prosperity, joy, peace, safety, etc. etc. etc. before the trial of our faith. The building (and consequently paying for) the temple was the trial of our faith which required some "pain" on our part. I believe this is another one of those situations :)
Hey, Manda... to you and Heather...
I re-read what I wrote and it sounds like I was bad mouthing your bishop. Sorry. It was not my intention at all! It still did strike me as odd, but I did not mean that he was practicing priestcraft or exercising unrighteous dominion or anything, though I sound like it. And until now I have not heard of any first presidency letter, so I stand completely corrected. Maybe it was read when we were in AZ, although I am surprised not to hear of it there if Jacqui heard it in UT. Anyway, I am sure they read it in our ward, too, and I was just out of town. So now it is not so surprising to me that your bishop is devoting his time to the cause. I did not mean to make you second guess yourself, and I hope I didn't make you doubt your bishop, either. And I am impressed by your charity and generosity and desire to do what's right and stretch yourself. Basically, I feel totally humbled and stand corrected about that.
I hope I also didn't dissuade you from the whole taking the pregnant girl in thing. I am pretty sure you aren't that easily swayed (by my non-important opinion on the matter), but in case you were, I am sorry for that, too. I just wrote the first feelings I had, putting myself in your place, which I can't really do since we're in totally different situations, financially and otherwise.
I did think today that if you did go out of town and leave her there, she is not old enough to drive, which may be another issue. Not sure. Just a thought. This brings up all kinds of thoughts. I am totally supportive of the girl's decision to give the baby up for adoption. I am also totally confident in your (and Jared's) ability to make the best decision for your family. So, hopefully my lame-o comments don't throw off the spirit with which you are making these decisions. I love you and of course support whatever you decide!
Well, there's my second novel of the week. Please accept my apology for being so hasty and jumping to conclusions.
Post a Comment